Sunday, October 12, 2008

Amazing India





I have had a wonderful Sunday in India. I attended AA this morning, and then rode around the city to various tourist attractions and national monuments for 2-3 hours. A rickshaw driver took me all over for Rs 100 ($2.20 or so). The people here are amazingly friendly. Being a city boy from Chicago, I am suspicious when someone offers to do something nice for me. This place is really shaking that mentality. These people seem to be genuine in their friendliness. The driver offered to take me for Rs 20, it was my idea to pay him 100. One of the catches was that he took me to three souvenir shops so that they would give him petrol vouchers. I looked and didn't buy anything, but he gets the coupons even if I don't buy.


It is amazing to know that often when I eat in a nice hotel, my lunch costs more than the monthly pay for half of the people on the street. In one short week I have seen some of the most posh and wealthy conditions that I have seen in my life, and I have seen the poorest conditions of my life.


Every time I go out now, I get coins from the hotel desk so that I can give Rupees to the beggars. There aren't a lot, but everywhere I go I usually see at least one, and the only way to make them stop following me is to give them a couple of rupees.


Above are pics of the Lalbagh Botanical Garden in Bangalore. A nice place to take the family for a Sunday afternoon. The tree I'm sitting at is 150 yrs. old.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think God has a plan for you my best friend & partner in life. I love that tree...and all trees! May God be with you everywhere you go...go with all your heart as someone once would say!
You are always in my thoughts and prayers...love you:)
nicki

Anonymous said...

I cannot get over that tree...it made me cried:{ God creations!!

kimberlydawn said...

dare i say, going to india may be worth - if only to see that amazing tree! how cool is that! i agree with nicki, God is sooo Creative!
as for your experience, that is awesome dad! at first i though it would be awkward (for me, anyway) to be surrounded by the wealth (like the airport) but what a unique experience to be able to see such a stark contrast and be able to contribute to those that are needy! your a good steward, dad, thanx for being a good example! God Bless You!

summer* said...

awesome tree now theres something to climb:>