Friday, January 29, 2010

Ft. Gaines & Dauphin Island






Ft. Gains was also used to protece Mobile Bay during the Civil war. It is where the phrase "Damn the Torpedoes, full steam ahead" was first uttered. The shots of the "thin" houses are really fronts on boat slips. Of course there were many long bridges, but this one connects the Island to the mainland. We took about a 30 minute ferry ride to get accross the bay, and it took two hours to drive back around the bay to get back to the RV Park.

2 comments:

Edith said...

I am very pleased that you and Nicki can do this. I love all the pictures and will keep up now that I have my computer back. It arrived this morning and I am again having to learn new things. I really enjoyed having you both here and THANKS for every thing you did for me. I pray that God will continue to use you in His service and He will direct you if you will only listen.A preacher once told me that God had selected you for His service. This was when you were a baby and was baptized by H.B. Huffman from West Virginia. I imagine he has been gone a long time now, but I still remember what he told me. I pray that you will have no more problems with your "land yacht" and all is well. Keep trusting God for your present and future, the past is gone. LOVE YOU BOTH MOM

kimberlydawn said...

not really sure what to say after gramma's comments...except i really liked the pic of the road that seems to go forever~love you!